Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I've gone to the "bland" side

Go down 
+8
stingray
v-twin
Old Luner
OldManYam
johnboss
simbo
Mr Intruder
Twojobmick
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

I've gone to the "bland" side Empty
PostSubject: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Well, after talking myself into and out of this several dozen times I finally decided to take the plunge and buy it ..... and as it seems customary to name new bike purchases recently, please say hello and a warm welcome to Peter. Not everyone's cup of tea ( especially Sim's carer ) but very good at what it's built for - high mileages in comfort. [size=55]It's additional to Maddie ( my Intruder) and purchased to help with our tours and longer ( or wetter / winter ) runs[/size]
I've gone to the "bland" side IMG_0193_zps9d78qp5s
It is a 2002  (51plate) Honda ST1100 Pan European with 15994 genuine miles, service history and in as good condition as the photo shows. Bog standard apart from a Motad S/S exhaust system and comes to me fully serviced and with 12 months MOT.
[size=48]I've just collected the seat this afternoon so I can give it to Tony Archer to lower it - it's a tall seat height as standard for me and heavy at nearly 300kg so I need to be able to put more than a tiptoe on the floor when stationary ! Hopefully will be collecting it next weekend at some point. Got to make some room in the garage for it over the next week ![/size]
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 pm

I like Pan's, nice bike you got yourself there Mick.  I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I like Pan's, nice bike you got yourself there Mick.  I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Thanks Dave ...... It is a good clean example to be honest and although I've never really hankered after one, I've always liked them too. Looked around at some 1300's ( and Yamaha FJRs & other tourers ) before finally deciding to buy this but the 1300's are more expensive and other then the adjustable screen and seat and a bit more power ( unnecessary in my eyes ) there is not really much advantage in paying the extra for the 1300. I got a reasonable deal on this one and as some people have said I can keep it for a few years and sell it if I want without losing a massive amount on it. The one thing that does concern me though is that on the ST Owners forum, they have a "drop counter" to tell people how many times the thing's been on its side ( mainly from stationary I understand ! ). Tells me something about the weight and seat height of the thing ( hence I'm having it lowered to fit my 26" inside leg ! )

Nice birthday present from my missus eh ?
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Great purchase! really good condition and hardly run in at that mileage  I've gone to the "bland" side 2170595768 just think of all the hours you'll be able to claim back in your life not cleaning the Intruder if the weathers a bit crap  I've gone to the "bland" side 123721
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Very nice Mick and nice low mileage example - barely run in at16K - Its catching this Tourer disease isn't it?  I'm feeling a bit left out - but I'll bide my time and see what's about  next year.  I've gone to the "bland" side 282787527
Back to top Go down
OldManYam
Very Valued VIP Member
OldManYam

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi Mick,

That's a very nice example of an ST1100 - I've ridden them in the past & nearly bought one a good few years ago .... but settled for the F6C instead. My buddy Peter bought the ST1100 I'd looked at, as I told him about it & it was a clean example.

Yes - you need to be aware of the weight & possibility of dropping the bike at low speed - but it is not that bad in reality. Just watch out for fork rebound when you stop at junctions with a 'strange' camber as they could catch you out in balance terms.

If you do end up with a panic moment where you think you might be losing balance when you are stationary .... don't panic - try to stabilise as best you can with your leg on the side the bike is falling to .... and use your arms to slowly lower the bike .... those grey plastic bulges on the side fairings have a steel loop behind them and you can rest the bike down on those, then dismount to right the bike. I presume you are aware of the best way to pick up a heavy bike by pushing against the seat with your backside whilst levering the handlebars with your arms, with steering locked in the direction the bike is leaning . (Best to have the bike in gear - if you can - &/or one of the brakes on). I've managed to right an 1800 Gold Wing on my own using that technique after having to lower it gently onto the crash bars when losing balance stationary (fork rebound moment).
There are quite a few video clips of this technique on the internet ... some using the fairer sex to get the point across !

Anyway .... lets not dwell on the negatives ....just trying to offer some encouragement in how to cope with a weighty bike .... As said at the start its a nice example of the ST & I hope it gives you great enjoyment.

Cheers  I've gone to the "bland" side 256401     Yam  I've gone to the "bland" side 3005623951
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 8:18 pm

OldManYam wrote:
Hi Mick,

That's a very nice example of an ST1100 - I've ridden them in the past & nearly bought one a good few years ago .... but settled for the F6C instead. My buddy Peter bought the ST1100 I'd looked at, as I told him about it & it was a clean example.

Yes - you need to be aware of the weight & possibility of dropping the bike at low speed - but it is not that bad in reality. Just watch out for fork rebound when you stop at junctions with a 'strange' camber as they could catch you out in balance terms.

If you do end up with a panic moment where you think you might be losing balance when you are stationary .... don't panic - try to stabilise as best you can with your leg on the side the bike is falling to .... and use your arms to slowly lower the bike .... those grey plastic bulges on the side fairings have a steel loop behind them and you can rest the bike down on those, then dismount to right the bike. I presume you are aware of the best way to pick up a heavy bike by pushing against the seat with your backside whilst levering the handlebars with your arms, with steering locked in the direction the bike is leaning . (Best to have the bike in gear - if you can - &/or one of the brakes on). I've managed to right an 1800 Gold Wing on my own using that technique after having to lower it gently onto the crash bars when losing balance stationary (fork rebound moment).
There are quite a few video clips of this technique on the internet ... some using the fairer sex to get the point across !

Anyway .... lets not dwell on the negatives ....just trying to offer some encouragement in how to cope with a weighty bike .... As said at the start its a nice example of the ST & I hope it gives you great enjoyment.

Cheers  I've gone to the "bland" side 256401     Yam  I've gone to the "bland" side 3005623951
Yeah Yam, I'm aware of the built in " engine bars" and how to pick the bike up via the YouTube videos.

Thinking of riding without panniers until I get used to the weight just in case it does go over. Probably worrying unduly - our Intruders weigh 250kg, it's not really that much more is it ?
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 3:40 am

Well done Mick, that looks like a belter and at that mileage it done nowt yet, the bike will fall to pieces before that V4 lump gives up.

I love my Intruder but I really really miss my Pan, much more than I thought I would, I think because what ever I asked of it, it did so effortlessly, if I hadn't been sliced and diced by so many surgeons and struggled with its weight I wouldn't have parted with it.

Btw, if your planning on very high speed cruising, leave the top box at home, they can cause a bit of a steering meander at a ton plus.

The downside is that your Intruder is going to feel a bit wimpy after you get used to the pull from that V4 lump, you may have to start saving for a 1500 I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457

Don't ever ride it without the panniers, get used to them from the offset or you'll dislike having them on the bike.
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:14 am

Looks good Mick. I know a couple of chaps with them and they love theirs. I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Back to top Go down
stingray
Very Valued VIP Member
stingray

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Lovely looking bike Mick and rare with that very low mileage, enjoy m8 I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 10:48 am

Its a disease! I blame sim I've gone to the "bland" side 3213823784  (come on john, just you and me being left out)
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am

hawktheslayer wrote:
Its a disease! I blame sim I've gone to the "bland" side 3213823784  (come on john, just you and me being left out)
Rather than 'jump on the bandwagon' and run around panicking that I'm being left out, I've taken a more grown up, sensible, mature and considered approach and decided to bide my time, research, save up and give very careful consideration as to what suits my needs best. The are many makes and models out there that at first glance seem suitable, but we all know the old saying, Buy in haste, Repent in leisure. I presume, given your intellect and education, you are also taking this approach. Fear not Justine, Patience is a virtue and Good things come to those in wait.

(and also - I haven't yet managed to evict the washer/dryer from the garage and am struggling for space).
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 am

johnboss wrote:
hawktheslayer wrote:
Rather than 'jump on the bandwagon' and run around panicking that I'm being left out, I've taken a more grown up, sensible, mature and considered approach and decided to bide my time, research, save up and give very careful consideration as to what suits my needs best. The are many makes and models out there that at first glance seem suitable, but we all know the old saying,  Buy in haste, Repent in leisure.  I presume, given your intellect and education, you are also taking this approach.  Fear not Justine, Patience is a virtue and Good things come to those in wait.

Oi John !!!

http://www.justwings.co.uk/cms_new/index.php?id=44&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2620&tx_ttnews[backPid]=43&cHash=8b254e1a73920754adb3a4ba74d619ba
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 12:10 pm

Fucking hell Mart! That looks a good buy.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Get it John, go on mate, get it, get it, buy it ... gerrritt !!!!!!    lol!

I too are struggling for space in my garage so the chest freezer is going, to be replaced with a tall upright one and one of the drum kits is migrating to the back bedroom and the buckets / mop / brushes and other general shit are going to live in the shed with the "humungous" spiders ( her indoors description, not mine - how come every spider in the world is a "great big spider - regardless of its size ? )
I'm hoping that'll be enough room to then re-arrange to get all the bikes and my practice drum kit in .......... I've gone to the "bland" side 3589522428( we don't have a "fingers crossed" emoticon so this was the nearest I could find. Sorry to all those I have offended ! )
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 3:30 pm

You lot are going to get me in a pile of trouble!!!

Lead me not into temptation
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Very Valued VIP Member
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 7:17 pm

With interest rates being so shite, your caravan money isn't earning anything sssmily

You know you want it!

Sorry mick... We hijacked your thread there. The pan looks beautiful... Absolutely mint. Lovely colour too.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 8:54 pm

johnboss wrote:
Fucking hell Mart! That looks a good buy.

Knowing Tom it won't hang about for long so shift yer arse if you want it.

You could call it Halfrida and it would get Hermann all hot under the collar  I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 11:21 pm

johnboss wrote:

I've got your corner John I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457  that is one weighty beast of a bike! (353kg dry) ok, if you fancy 600 miles a day on motorways? it's perfect! throw in 300 motorway and 300 A roads and you'll be navigating a battleship half your day I've gone to the "bland" side 437349  stick with the 3 you've narrowed down to (pan, rt, trophy) and you won't go far wrong  I've gone to the "bland" side 3005623951  (just imho)
Back to top Go down
hawktheslayer
Very Valued VIP Member
hawktheslayer

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Had a look see at a bmw 1600rt ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh engines too big! but omg the spec sssmily
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 3:53 am

simbo wrote:
johnboss wrote:

I've got your corner John I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457  that is one weighty beast of a bike! (353kg dry) ok, if you fancy 600 miles a day on motorways? it's perfect! throw in 300 motorway and 300 A roads and you'll be navigating a battleship half your day I've gone to the "bland" side 437349  stick with the 3 you've narrowed down to (pan, rt, trophy) and you won't go far wrong  I've gone to the "bland" side 3005623951  (just imho)

Blimey, didn't realise they were that heavy, a 1500 Goldwing only comes in at 360kg dry and they look half as big again as the Beemer.

Might as well save some dosh and get a Wing !!!

http://www.justwings.co.uk/cms_new/index.php?id=44&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2577&tx_ttnews[backPid]=43&cHash=89f4e3f46216c83864566087542ffc03
Back to top Go down
johnboss
Very Valued VIP Member
johnboss

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 am

Old Luner wrote:
simbo wrote:
johnboss wrote:

Blimey, didn't realise they were that heavy, a 1500 Goldwing only comes in at 360kg dry and they look half as big again as the Beemer.

Might as well save some dosh and get a Wing !!!

http://www.justwings.co.uk/cms_new/index.php?id=44&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2577&tx_ttnews[backPid]=43&cHash=89f4e3f46216c83864566087542ffc03
Mart - you are a Wicked Temptress! As Sim says -its a hell of a lump to move around and as I'm not the youngest man on the forum (although I know my dashing good looks my have fooled you all) I need to think about moving the thing in and out of garages, slow manoeuvrers etc so weight does need to be considered. Both very nice bikes though.
Back to top Go down
Old Luner
Valued Member
Old Luner

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 11:22 am

I know what you mean John, I've often thought it a shame that Honda didn't do a thou cc variant of their deauville, would have been a great middle weight tourer, they're ok as is but just a bit gutless at 700 cc.
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 2:09 pm

simbo wrote:
johnboss wrote:

It weighs how much ???????        I've gone to the "bland" side 4231872003

Sim's right John - that's just wayyyyy too heavy. I recind my advice !
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 pm

bigmal wrote:
With interest rates being so shite, your caravan money isn't earning anything sssmily

You know you want it!

Sorry mick... We hijacked your thread there. The pan looks beautiful... Absolutely mint. Lovely colour too.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.
No worries mate - I like the way some of these threads tend to  go off at a tangent !

You might get to see it if you're out Sunday ..... The gig that me & the band had booked has been cancelled leaving me free to play out ..... YAYYYY !
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Twojobmick wrote:

You might get to see it if you're out Sunday ..... The gig that me & the band had booked has been cancelled leaving me free to play out ..... YAYYYY !

Matlock?? give it a good run out  I've gone to the "bland" side 696333
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 3:53 am

F
simbo wrote:
Twojobmick wrote:

Matlock?? give it a good run out  I've gone to the "bland" side 696333
Nowhere to park ......  lol!
Back to top Go down
katsd
Very Valued VIP Member
katsd

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 7:34 am

Bugger - I'm on nights, or I'd have met up with you !!!
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 12:49 pm

The Pan is prone to having rot inside the swing arm unit as it's steel box section 'sweats'. Best thing to do is drill the section/s & get it sprayed with wax oil or such. It's a known problem as you'll find out on any Pan forum but never the less it's a cracking find mate!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Cheers Peter .... Have had a good look at the swing arm and apart from a little surface rust on the outside, it's in good fettle. 
Before I went to view the bike, I googled to find out what to look for and the swing arm and the OE exhaust system seem to be the two major things. Thanks for the "heads up" though I've gone to the "bland" side 3498837457
Back to top Go down
peardrop3
Very Valued VIP Member
peardrop3

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 10:38 am

Thing is they go from the interior Mick & only show up when it's trying to find an escape route out of the arm assembly.
Back to top Go down
simbo
* Site Guru *
simbo

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:11 pm

It was a lovely example! I've gone to the "bland" side 123721   it's dirty now though  I've gone to the "bland" side 1993399755
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:20 pm

simbo wrote:
It was a lovely example! I've gone to the "bland" side 123721   it's dirty now though  I've gone to the "bland" side 1993399755
lol! I've gone to the "bland" side 3213823784 I've gone to the "bland" side 2343124779
Back to top Go down
v-twin
Very Valued VIP Member
v-twin

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 10:38 pm

I doubt if it is now Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've gone to the "bland" side   I've gone to the "bland" side Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've gone to the "bland" side
Page 1 of 1