Well, it has been a few weeks since I drilled the first 4 holes in each of the end plates and got a much nicer sound from my stock M50 exhausts! (2008 M50)
I don't get to hear what it sounds like as I'm pulling away though, so I asked my parents for an opinion... LOL.
"It's definitely louder. Sounds a bit like your dad's bike." Dad rides a Honda CMX500. Not happy with that review!
So, back to the folks place within the week to do some more work.
Second step...? Remove the end plate and baffle.
Drilled a series (LOTS!) of holes in a circle and joined together. Pull... Pull... Wiggle...? Why wont this move?
It turns out the baffles, which are obviously connected to the end plates, are also welded to the second baffle plate. I can't see where anyone else has mentioned this, but that makes sense because most people bash/drill/pierce through the internal plates before removing the end plates, which would break those welds, and I didn't. So, I've mutilated the first internal plate too to break said welds and remove baffles.
I've filed down the jagged edges of what remained of the end plates, looks great having the end of the pipes gaping rather than looking like peashooters
Sweet, sweet rumble!
But not where close to block your ears loud like some of my friend's bikes
I'm still to remove the first internal plate (what remains of it). Then will move onto the second plate. I plan to leave 100% of the cat intact.
Will work on getting some images, but the camera on my phone's a bit ordinary and the only one I have at the moment...