Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Empty
PostSubject: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Long story short, washed my bike, rinsed with a normal hose. Tried to start and nothing.
I could notice a very faint sizzling noise for a while which went away when I took the neg lead off the battery.
If i turn the ignition the head light, indicators and brake lights work but the main display is blank (the backlight works) and the starter works (crank but wont fire)

Any ideas? Im worried its going to be expensive. I thought these bikes are waterproof but when I took the seat off i saw evidence of some water ingress.
2005 C800
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Just a thought. Have you checked the fuses?
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

What ive done so far:

Unplugged, WD40'd and replugged every connector near the battery and down by the fuse box.
Jump started with car battery
Taken gauge cluster off, sprayed and cleaned connector in there
Replaced all fuses
Opened ECU, to find its squeaky clean and dry
Cleaned main ground wire
Opened headlight, cleaned all plugs in there
Sprayed WD on side stand, clutch and killswitch (ive ruled all these out because they are working correctly)

All I have left is to take the tank off and go prodding around there but due to the shape of the tank it baffles me how any water could get under there in the first place.

All i can think is maybe the battery is dead but i could continuously crank the bike for about a minute total over the course of the day and it still isnt labouring so I doubt it.

Maybe the regulator/rectifier? It looks quite crusty and is in a harsh area (road dirt etc).

Im baffled
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Also in ONE of maybe 50 attempts of turning the ignition on, the cluster showed an F1 fault with flashing red light. It only happened once and has been blank ever since.
Back to top Go down
pledge
Valued Member
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 am

Hi EazyDuz. Any luck with sorting the starting problem yet? If not I hope you can solve it soon, best of luck with it.
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm

pledge wrote:
Hi EazyDuz. Any luck with sorting the starting problem yet? If not I hope you can solve it soon, best of luck with it.
I asked on another forum and I did finally find the problem the other day, this is what i put:

FUCKING YES! Fucking found the problem. 
Had the tank off, removed and cleaned every coupler, inspected the rectifier. 
Then I looked behind the fuse box, noticed one red wire was snapped. Figured they do that at the factory because it looked like it was feeding into one of the two 'spare fuse' holders in the box, so obviously doesnt connect to anything. 
Thats when I sliced and peeled back the main harness just to be sure, funnily enough a broken red wire is inside. 
I was so, so close to giving up, but i figured I may as well bridge the wire with some speaker wire and see if the entire bike ignites itself. 
Sure enough, flicked it on, WEEEEEEEEEEE pump kicks in, dash showing that lovely mileage display. 
So fucking pleased Ive spent 2 1/2 days troubleshooting the stupid thing and Im really proud of myself for finding it since im useless with electrics. 
Thanks everyone for your help, here it is: 

https://i.imgur.com/D2LBycJ.jpg 

https://i.imgur.com/QwKRwhh.jpg 

Still no idea why it had snapped, the others look fine. Sounds silly but could a mouse or rat have done it? I packed it away in the garage in November, pulled it out, fired it up to change the oil the other day, put it back, then it wouldnt start.

Just come back from a nice 30 mile ride, first one of the year. Filled up with some premium fuel and shes running like an absolute dream.
To repair I soldered the wire back together, covered it in dielectric grease, put heat shrink over it, wrapped the loom in loads of insulation tape then packed the whole area with dielectric grease. Should be more waterproof than from the factory now.
pledge

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 9:08 am

Good result.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Great to hear you got sorted electrics  are a mystery to me
Back to top Go down
EazyDuz
EazyDuz

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm

ardie wrote:
Great to hear you got sorted electrics  are a mystery to me
Indeed. My next step was to find a mobile mechanic/electrician to drive out to me since I dont have a trailer to move the bike or anything.
Glad it didnt come to that, saved myself a small fortune. Cost of repair:

£3.90 for same gauge red wire from halfords
£2.50 for head shrink
£1.50 for a good electrical tape

Already had solder, iron and flux paste. 

May sound silly but I feel more 'connected' to the bike now. Also glad the wire didnt snap on a motorway or something, very lucky it failed on my drive.
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2019 8:37 pm

That's a result all round roll on good weather
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!   Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wont start after washing bike, urgent help needed!
Page 1 of 1