Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Avon Cobra Chrome tyres

Go down 
+3
Skidalot
KeithW
Geordie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KeithW
KeithW

Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Empty
PostSubject: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm

My C800 is coming up to 15000 miles on the stock IRC tyres and I'm going to change them in September. There is still 2.5mm on the front and loads on the rear so I'm not in a rush.

I had sort of made a decision to try Avon Cobra's for a change but when I start to look around, the Cobra's are no longer available and have been replaced with the Cobra Chrome's. At first I thought it was mainly cosmetic changes but it is quite a big change. Construction is different and tread pattern has changed, with noticeably less tread on the Chrome's. I was comparing them with the old Cobra's, Pirelli Night Dragons, Michelin Commander 2, Metzeler Marathon Ultra ME888 and Bridgestone E Max. I admit that I may be overthinkig the issue, but I emailed Avon to ask them why less tread gave better wet weather performance. Got a very non commital answer telling me they were wonderful and what sizes I needed! Not impressed with that!

I did find a nice article on the Continental Tyres website, called "Tyre Tech Talk", which was published in 6 articles in Ride Magazine, that explains the relationship between tread depth, tread pattern,dry and wet performance and longevity/wear rate. Worth a read and alleviated some of the anxiety!

These Chromes have only been on sale since Jan 2019 and I can't find much information about the performance in the real world. Has anybody fitted them recently and, if so, how good are they in the wet? Most good quality tyres perform ok in the dry and I'm not too bothered about longevity.

I have read through all the tyre threads here a couple of times, and I picked up Peters' remark (off topic!) in the "Post Counter" thread. Not sure if that was referring to the Chrome's or the previous Cobra.

I will probably go with the Chromes but it would be nice to have more information.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 am

Well, with over 200 views and no replies I guess no one has fitted them yet! So I bit the bullet this morning and ordered the Chromes. They will be fitted sometime next week, along with the bikes first mot....just where has the time gone!

KeithW
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Tyres arrived this afternoon and are being fitted on Monday. Then I'll know for myself what they look and feel like. Can't wait!

KeithW
Back to top Go down
Geordie
Prospect

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 am

Any pics mate ?
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Avon Cobra Chrome tyres 20190910

Tyres have been fitted and scrubbed off - 100 miles should be enough I think. They tell me the release agents are much cleaner these days!

First impressions are good. Straight line stability is much better than the stock IRC's. Just deals with tar snakes and the like and appears to go into bends and corners nicely. They do a seem to be quite "sticky" and, with that, usually goes short life! If I get 8k from them I'll be happy. Yet to see what they are like in the wet.....and for me, wet performance trumps all.

The only downside so far is the psychological experience of looking down at the front tyre and seeing loads of tyre and not much tread!!

Off to a bike rally this weekend so I'll find out a bit more, like how they behave on wet grass! I'll update this thread when I've got a couple of thousand miles on them.

KeithW
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Be good to hear what you think after they been on for a few thousand miles  thumup
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi guys - strange times! I have finally got just over 2000 miles on these tyres and I'm quite happy with the decision to fit them. They are very good in the dry and they deal with road imperfections very well. I've had the trailer on for about 600 of those miles with no adverse effects. Only about 200 miles in the wet but, again, no worrying moments. Definitely better than than the stock IRC's in both wet and dry. No real sign of wear, either, so longevity should be ok. I still have "anxiety attacks" when I look down at the tread but it is getting much better. It has been pointed out to me that there will be more rubber on the road!! Tyre technology is getting quite clever these days and I have seen explanations of wet weather performance and why motorcycles behave the way that they do. Personally I have never aquaplaned on a bike and have never even thought about it, but apparently it is extremely unusal to aquaplane on a motorcycle. Some of you may know different and if you have experienced this I would be interested to hear about it. Something to do with the actual shape of the tyre, I believe. Anyway, I am quite happy with them, and they are made in England, which is a bonus.
Back to top Go down
Skidalot
Very Valued VIP Member
Skidalot

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 pm

Good to have some feedback Keith  thumup
Back to top Go down
ardie
Valued Member
ardie

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 12:26 pm

good to have feedback after the mileage done sure this will be of help to someone good job all round sir thumup
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 pm

I too have had Avon cobra anxiety attacks, and have had people point out that my front tyre is bald.
It's not.  It's ok.   Don't fret.     MOT man says all is well.
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 9:50 am

I have them on my Fat Bob. Perform more like sport tyres which I like. I imagine I'll get no more than 4,500 miles from the rear which I seem to on any tyre on any bike - probably the way I ride. Seem good in the wet too. Don't look very 'cruiser' tread-wise but that's all.
Back to top Go down
the roof
the roof

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Just read your post regarding the Avon cobra chrome, had my front one fitted April last year and was also suprised with the tread difference from the old cobra which had a 7mm tread depth. Like you said its scary to see that flat section down the middle and I've had no problems in the wet. Just ordered a new cobra chrome for the rear so i expect the same pattern.
Back to top Go down
KeithW
KeithW

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2023 5:13 pm

OK. These tyres have now been on the bike for 4 years and have done 12,205 miles to date. Had a chat with the MOT man last week and he measured them for me. Just under 4mm on the front and just under 5mm on the rear, so it looks OK for another year. That will mean 5 years of use and probably about 16000 miles. Given my age and not sure how long I've got left riding I might change them before the spring so I get the benefit of the new tyres! 5 years is the recommended maximum age for tyres anyway, so I'm told. They've been good so I'll go with them again.
Back to top Go down
Badger
Valued Member
Badger

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2023 2:58 pm

By coincidence, I've just put a new set of those on mine.   They are very good.
I'm 65 in May and getting those weird thoughts like ... after all these years riding, is this the last pair of motorcycle tyres I'm going to buy?  
Avon Cobra Chrome tyres 855947
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avon Cobra Chrome tyres   Avon Cobra Chrome tyres Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Avon Cobra Chrome tyres
Page 1 of 1