Suzuki 800 Intruder Club & Forum
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Welcome to suzuki800 Intruder forum

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50, Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder.

You will need to register before all the area's become visible, before doing so please enter & read the first thread in the Introductory area

It will only take a minute to register & it would be great to have you on board
This is a free to access and use site.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A UK Site Dedicated To The Suzuki C800, VL800, VX800, M800, VZ800, VS800, C50, M50 Model Intruder / Boulevard / Marauder

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Liighting up a C800 With LED's

Go down 
+9
Twojobmick
Farmboy
alfie92
oldfart
scotland warrior
captain crash
Bunso Steel
barky
Mr Intruder
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Intruder
Suzuki800.com Founder ... & ... Senior Administrator
Mr Intruder

Liighting up a C800 With LED's Empty
PostSubject: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 2:21 pm

First off I ain't no electrician or any kind of engineer, so I wouldn't advice anyone to follow my install. All the same here it is for what its worth.

I spotted these Led Lights on Ebay, they are available in different lengths. The ones I bought were £3.63 for 2x 48cm strips per pack, I bought 4 packs giving me a total of 8 strips although so far I have only used 4.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0206

First off I removed my after-market chrome radiator cover after noticing that there was a reasonable gap on both the left and right sides where led strips could be fitted without being melted by the heat (I hope) Liighting up a C800 With LED's 852880
I used a strong double sided tape suitable for exterior use to initially stick the led's in to position down either side of the rad cover after cleaning the area thoroughly (I have used this stuff before with great results). After the initial positioning I also run along the edge with a glue to give it a little more security.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0205

Because of the way that these were wired, I was able to cut them to a slightly shorter required length. I then siliconed over the cut edge to ensure that the live wire was sealed off.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0213

Here is one of them installed. Positioning them on either side of the rad cover was ideal as you cant see the led's but they give a nice glow out of the front of the grill and radiate all over the front of the engine.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0214

I then set about taking the pillion & rider seats off before removing the fuel tank. Removing the fuel tank is very easy, it is simply the 12mm bolt under the rider seat and a couple of connectors. The connectors being the fuel level sender unit connector and the fuel line,both of these simply need to be squeezed and pulled off

As you can see I have taped off the fuel line to ensure that nothing either falls or crawls in to it!

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0212

Next I placed and cable/zip tied a led strip around the back end of the engine frame work in a position that I was happy would give me light where I wanted it. I tried the led strip in numerous positions before settling on and fixing in position, including under the frame and even tank but I was very definite in my mind as to how much illumination I was looking for.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0216

I installed 1 strip inside the speedo consul after noticing that there was a 7mm gap all around the bottombetween it and the fuel tank. I thought it would be nice to have a blue glow coming from under the consul and also out through the speedo glass

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0215

Here we have the tank cluster consul illuminated

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0234

Here we have the view from the front
It's not a very good picture because of the lights that were on around me but I am sure you can get the idea.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0236

Here we have the right side

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0222
Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0223

The left side

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0226
Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0231

I didn't want an engine that was lit up like a lighthouse, what I wanted was subtle blue lighting on my chrome and I am very happy that I have got it just how I wanted it.
This is never going to come in the top ten motorcycle led jobs but at the end of the day this led lighting modification has only cost me £7.26 so far.

I will also be adding an on off handle bar mounted switch to turn them off when not required, however they actually still give a nice blue tinge even during the daytime.

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
barky

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Looking good Mr I Liighting up a C800 With LED's 2170595768
Back to top Go down
Bunso Steel
Valued Member
Bunso Steel

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Great write up as usual, thanks. The blue glow looks brilliant and it really goes with your air filter mod. Im still seriously considering the led wheel rim kits I posted earlier. And I would like to do a similar thing with the under tank lights, but in red perhaps, but I would like to be able to switch them on and off. How did you wire it up, have you got a wiring loom to plug it into?
Back to top Go down
captain crash
Mentally Deficient lunatic ..... & ..... Site Moderator
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Liighting up a C800 With LED's 428386 Fantastic Blue leds always light up chrome so well looks flippin aceLiighting up a C800 With LED's 123721

I can't get my head around the fact that you have got that effect for £7.26 Gotta be one of the best mods on a cash to effect ratio Liighting up a C800 With LED's 276246
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks guys
Joe the led's are very low voltage so I ran all 4 sets of wire in to the speedo housing before crimping them together and running just one set of wires in to the headlight bucket to power all 4 led strips. It would be very easy to put an in-line switch in place for on off control, which I will shortly do and post on here, however I am still awaiting it's delivery.
Back to top Go down
scotland warrior
scotland warrior

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

that looks great good job.
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:23 pm

I just love blue LEDs a very cool mod, and this is something I would love to achieve on my ride, so thanks for the photos and info on how to
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Glad you liked it Liighting up a C800 With LED's 3498837457
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Well done Dave as always a good write up,the bike looks very impessive ,regardless of what you paid obviously your time and effort has paid you dividends.
Back to top Go down
Farmboy

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Excellent writeup Dave. Creative thinking for led placement. Looks good!
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

F***ing awesome Mr I, no more to say !!
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Mick Your bike would look lovelly with the engine done the same as it would be a continuasion of the lovelly blue paint job you already have
Back to top Go down
Twojobmick
Valued VIP Member
Twojobmick

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Yeah CC I know but I very rarely ride at night and I just wonder if it's worth it when the effect won't be given it's full credit .... not sure yet, but I'm considering it I must say especially as it's so cheap to do !

problem is too that theres lots of other mods / stuff that i want 1st

It's not a bad problem to have though, just not knowing which mod do I go for first really, is it !
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Ah now that begs a question

Mr I do you notice them in the daytime?
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Twojobmick wrote:
F***ing awesome Mr I, no more to say !!
Cheers mick and I agree with CC, I reckon your bike would look great with a blue led lit engine & at that price there's nothing to lose. However I know what you mean with regards to which mod to do next.

captain crash wrote:
Mr I do you notice them in the daytime?
Surprisingly yes would be the answer but when you consider that it's banging off mirrored chrome, maybe not so surprising.
I did try to take some daylight photo's when I did the mod to show how it lights up the engine in the daytime but I just couldn't take a picture that did it justice.

I will be adding the rear wheel strips at the weekend which I don't think will show up in the daytime but we will have to see. I am going to zip tie the strips just inside the rear mudgaurd, sort of in line with the external chrome bars but on the inside.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Mr Intruder wrote:
I am going to zip tie the strips just inside the rear mudgaurd, sort of in line with the external chrome bars but on the inside.
I don't want to be a misery Mr I but thats one hell of a place to put the leds, do you think they will hold up to the beating from all the flying debri there? Liighting up a C800 With LED's 641964
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Crash, I can see where your coming from because debris will be catapulted from the tyre initially at high speed, however they will not be in a direct firing line but will only receive ricochet.
I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the led strips can take what ever is thrown at them. If you look at the picture provided you will see that the led is actually very small and encapsulated in several mm of a clear rubbery type of plastic.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's Untitled-2
Back to top Go down
Doc Cox
The Nutty Professor
Doc Cox

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Dave, the LED effect is even better than you said the other week, almost looks like one of the Tron bikes now, had a close look at the strip in your article and the Led,s look as if they are the same size as the ones used in the garden lights, have 5 of these on test in my cab wired up to a 2" pc cooling fan mounted on my wing mirror, these light up at anything over 25mph and at night have to put them out of eyesight as they are too bright, will be running a larger fan next week so it looks like using one to charge a slave battery is very viable, keep on innovating, regards Doc Cox, E=MC2Liighting up a C800 With LED's 855947
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Doc Cox wrote:
keep on innovating, regards Doc Cox, E=MC2Liighting up a C800 With LED's 855947
I will keep on innovating Doc as long as you keep putting the idea's in to practice Liighting up a C800 With LED's 3498837457

If your test works out as expected then Doc, I will put a small slave battery in one of the side cover area's and then run all the accessories I run from that powered by the fan. What I am thinking is that if we use a larger fan than the one you are currently testing but make a small case for it that is funnelled with the large hole at the front and a small one at the rear force feeding the fan.
Thanks for testing this idea out for me Doc Cox Liighting up a C800 With LED's 3005623951

Last edited by Mr Intruder on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Bloody hell you two need to get on a teckie forum Liighting up a C800 With LED's 103551
Back to top Go down
Bluesman
Very Valued VIP Member
Bluesman

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

Mr.I. the write up is excellent - superb photography and I particularly like the way you have exposed the speedo shot. Annotations done like a pro! I love the blue glow - looks so classy. This is probably the best project/writeup we have seen on here - well done. i'd love to see a night video of the bike sometime!
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

I added the next instalment of lights today, the ones over the rear wheel, under the rear mud guard. So I thought I would update with a couple of pictures

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0315 Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0320 Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0319

The next instalment will be to add the LED strips to the under belly of the bike, just above the frame so that the bike can still be lifted. And lastly to change the LED's in the clocks to blue.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Looking good Mr I, I will look forward to the next 2 installments but especially the bit where you change the speedo leds from yellow to blue, lots of pictures and a writeup on that one please Liighting up a C800 With LED's 184121345
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah now worries Crash, I will do a write up with pics when I do the clock led change over.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Belly pan lights   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Did the under side of the bike today with LED's.
I simply took the belly pan off and cable tied them to that. I put a couple of push/pull connectors in-line so that I can completely remove it from the bike without having an issue with the wires.

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0327

As you can see there is enough room when the LED lights are cable tied to the side of the belly pan, so as to have the lights well clear of the bottom of the pan. So Lifting the bike with the Home made Jack will not be an issue.
Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0324

Liighting up a C800 With LED's IMG_0329

Next step will be to take the Rev counter and Tank speedo display off and take the orange LED's out & solder blue LED's in instead.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:13 pm

might be a silly sugestion but is it possible to light up the front wheel like the back dont know if you could get the leds fitted in the front mudgard just a thought
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Tried it a while ago with the LED's that I had but it causes a clearance issue in line with the forks inside the mudguard as I was using long LED strips. So I will order 2 sets of 12cm LED's which will give me the four that I will require to get the effect that I want. So it is in my hit list but just not yet! I am also going to put an LED's up inside the Sissy bar which will give a nice effect around that area, it's all a matter of time!
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 pm

shit ot pimp dat ride oohh and i thought the same as doc cox as soon as i saw the picture of the speedo tron bike look forward to seeing the end result
Back to top Go down
alfie92
Very Valued VIP Member
alfie92

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:26 pm

[img]Liighting up a C800 With LED's 2012-02-28154414[/img]
Dave try these small led pods there are four to each pod nice and small for under your front mudguard.12V 2 X 4 LED OVAL PODs - BLACK CASE-Motorcycle Lighting ... I got them from ebay.The ones that are just above the crash bars.
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Cheers alfie I will look in to that.
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Looking good Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:35 pm

dont think i would ever get tired of chaseing after your bike down dark country roads dave...i wonder what Liighting up a C800 With LED's 1792677282 will think Liighting up a C800 With LED's 3213823784 .. ...Liighting up a C800 With LED's 276246
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Not sure that the Dibble could have anything to say, as it is only ambient lighting. Due to the positioning of the lighting, no light is leaving the bike as such apart from the under belly lights, which illuminate the floor.
Back to top Go down
fat intruder
Very Valued VIP Member
fat intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm

peter could have a point any copper thats into bikes might pull you over just to have a look and ask you how you did it before letting you ride off lol
Back to top Go down
Mr Intruder
Mr Intruder

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 pm

As long as they let me ride on again, I am happy with that.
Most Dibble are OK as long as you give them a bit of respect, even the ones that don't deserve it
Back to top Go down
thedoc911
Prospect
thedoc911

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm

nice job it just goes to show what you can do with a little self confidence, just think how much you have saved by not giving it to someone else to do and you have the added bonus of self satisfaction great site loving all the tech info which is great for beginners like me Liighting up a C800 With LED's 4070287859
Back to top Go down
captain crash
captain crash

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:00 am

The thing I like doc is that they make it easy for the guys that would like to do jobs but are a bit nervous to have a go on there own for the first time, because they do good write ups and pics.
Liighting up a C800 With LED's 881924
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Liighting up a C800 With LED's   Liighting up a C800 With LED's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Liighting up a C800 With LED's
Page 1 of 1